MDX001 Masterclass - Dyslexia - Supporting a Child’s Reading, Vocabulary & Learning
What You Will Learn
- The importance of immersing a child in talk.
- How audio books can develop vocabulary while keeping a child up to date with books being read by their peers
- The value of stepping back from an activity when frustration appears
- How to manage work sent home by well-meaning teachers and tutors
- Rediscover the joy and enrichment of reading aloud to your child
- Know and nurture what your child is good at
Dr. Jack-Malik is an assistant, tenure track professor in the Department of Education. She came to Cape Breton University after living and working in remote northern Manitoba (Gillam and Churchill), where she worked as school administrator in K-12 schools, for five years. Dr. Jack-Malik earned a PhD in elementary education and curriculum studies from the University of Alberta. She was supervised by D.J. Clandinin. She also holds a Master’s degree in Curriculum Studies, English from Brock University. Her Bachelor of Education was also granted by Brock University. Dr. Jack-Malik began her career working as an Urban Planner in Toronto after completing a Bachelor of Applied Arts in Urban and Regional Planning from Ryerson.