WEBINAR- Autism: Understanding Autism, the four areas of diversity and their effect on learning and behaviour.
Online Webinar: 1st February 2021 at 7pm
LIVE Webinar with expert Andrew Whitehouse
Online Webinar: 1st February 2021 at 7 pm.
What you will Learn
- A brief introduction to the four areas of diversity in Autism: social and emotional understanding, communication, lack of flexible thought, sensory differences.
- Using explicit spoken language when communicating with young people with Autism: a guide to clear communication.
- Using less spoken language when communicating with young people with Autism to aid with processing.
- A range of visual interventions to aid communicating needs and feelings.
- What are visual stories and when can they be used?
- What is the connection between visual stories and the four areas of diversity in Autism?
- How to construct a simple, effective, visual story.
- “Other people are my biggest problem” identifying hotspots of social and emotional understanding.
- Metaphors, idioms and facial expressions. Navigating the social codes.
- Obsessions and special interests. An investigation into the benefits of integrating them into the social, emotional and academic curriculum.
- Identifying and coping with change and unexpected difficulties.
- Sensory differences: Hyper (over) and Hypo (under) sensitivity including auditory and olfactory considerations.
TEDx Speaker Andrew Whitehouse is a specialist in neurological diversity and provides interventions for professionals, parents and young people with Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia and related conditions. Andrew has a number of roles including training, strategies and therapies for education professionals in schools and colleges, observing learners in the learning environment and providing practical solutions to help them achieve their potential. Andrew provides short courses for Bishop Grosseteste University and the University of Lincoln and holds a number of UK and overseas contracts. Andrew has delivered three TEDx Talks including “From Disability to Superpowers” and has an extensive conference profile. Andrew is also a Forensic SEND Consultant and acts as an expert witness in SEND related court cases.