How to listen so children will talk
Learn the listening skills & tools you need to strengthen your relationship with your child
Psychology and childhood expert Gillian Martin provides effective step by step techniques to help you enrich your relationships with your children. Primarily drawing on techniques from positive psychology and motivational interviewing, this course will give you the skills to help raise your child in a positive, loving way, helping them to become more resilient, respectful, empathetic and independent problem solvers. You’ll learn how to engage with a young person to help them feel comfortable talking and help you hold deeper ad more meaningful conversations. You will explore skills such as using affirmations and reflections to encourage the young person to bring their thoughts to the surface and express them as well as using methods to help the young person feel listened to. This course is sure to be a game changer for any parent looking to bring their relationship with their child to the next level!
What you'll learn
- Understand how to strengthen relationships with children through conversation
- How to develop a child’s self-esteem and self worth through active listening
- Avoid the pitfalls of poor listening
- Gain an understanding of motivational interviewing
- How to establish rapport and trust with a child or young person
- How questioning styles affect conversation flow
- How to avoid and overcome resistance
- Learn how to respond to build and strengthen a young person's self esteem
- How to use reflective statements to enhance the quality of conversations
- Summarise conversations so they lead to constructive action
- Develop a listening skills tool-box
Circa 60 mins+ (video lesson content). Additional needed for learnign excercises and review.
Gillian is Chartered Psychologist and a Board Certified Behaviour Analyst. She began her career volunteering with children and people with Intellectual Disabilities in her school days, and on Summer Camps in the USA during college. She developed a passion for supporting others to help them achieve their highest potential and independence. She has a particular interest in working with those who express themselves and through behaviours that can make their life difficult. She uses Positive Behaviour Support to help people increase their well being, enhance their quality of life, and to express themselves in a more constructive way. She provides education, training and support as founder of Soiléir Psychology Services, in Dublin and provides extensive training for Service Providers, Family Support Groups, Schools and Universities. Gillian now lives by the sea in Dublin with her husband and two children.
Access on a tablet or phone
Certificate of Completion
"I couldn't recommend this course more!"
- Dr. Kate James, Educational Psychologist.